Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Attenuation help?

• 13-04-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

bit of help please ,

got landline fitted so i could get fast(ish) broadband

heres my line details
    Capture.png

eircom say i can only recieve up to 2 mb broadband

first they tried to tel me i was to far away from exchange , (its outside my front door )
    then they said cant get 7mb in my area , parents are a few doors down from me and they have it a year

speed test gives me this :
    1250888170.png

so basicy my query is , after gething new line fitted as i wanted faster broadband why cant i get it

to be honest i would probaby get faster internet from my toaster

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Have a read of the above - it does seem as if you are living virtually in the exchange.

Do you know what products are available from your exchange.

Also is there any problem with any aspect of your internal wiring?

If you ask the reps in the Eircom forum they should be able to investigate further I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

thanks for your reply

yeh the exchange is right outside my front door litterely lol
    and my line was wired strait from it to the side of my house .

the guy that wired it stated that i would get high speeds as im so close to it and new line fitted ect.....

i have opend a thread in the eircom section and still waiting on a reply.
    thaught i would ask some people in this section as i was gething no where with them on the fone today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't suppose you have Sky multiroom do you??

Otherwise eircom have the line in test mode which throttles it.

nope , no sky ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

It will also depend on your modem too.

Are you still using the old modem.
    Analog=old and will still be slow no mater connection you have.

• Advertisement

new modem only recieved it off eircom , new line ect

when i rang eircom al they kept telling me was that there was no next gen broadband in my area ect .....

i tried telling them i jus wanted the standerd bb but they were having none of it saying this that and the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Do you have a limit of usage as in 30 gig per month and went over it.?
    I am just saying as it happened me a good while ago.
    You should be able to check this on their site and check your traffic.

yeh i have a llimit but i only have broad band a day now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Complain to eircom about this madness. That line can handle any speed available in the DSL specs. And start a thread in the talk to: eircom forum here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

By the way, at least you can get 2 megs! The family have a 1 meg line on a line that can handle 2 or 3 meg but eircom have decided on our behalf that it can't handle higher speeds.

dub45 wrote: »
    Also is there any problem with any aspect of your internal wiring?

If you ask the reps in the Eircom forum they should be able to investigate further I am sure.
    On that point - the signal margin is so good there couldn't be a problem with the wiring. And there is so much signal margin it's quite possible that the OP can plug his modem into the wrong end of a filter and still receive 2 mbps!

• Advertisement

Complain to eircom about this madness. That line can handle any speed available in the DSL specs. And start a thread in the talk to: eircom forum here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

By the way, at least you can get 2 megs! The family have a 1 meg line on a line that can handle 2 or 3 meg but eircom have decided on our behalf that it can't handle higher speeds.

thanks for your reply ,
    i have tony from talk to eircom looking into it ,
    yeh my parents have a worse line than me but yet they can get the full 7mb and max my line will get is 2mb

On that point - the signal margin is so good there couldn't be a problem with the wiring. And there is so much signal margin it's quite possible that the OP can plug his modem into the wrong end of a filter and still receive 2 mbps!

i only got the line fitted last week after a month of saying "we'll be out tomorow " worth of fonecalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dodd wrote: »
    Are you still using the old modem.
    Analog=old and will still be slow no mater connection you have.

Analogue has nothing to do with it, and neither will the modem unless it's broken.

so kinda an update idunno lol

have being pm'ing tony from eircom , and 1 thing he said to me wich is kinda funny

the exchange is outside my front door and he said and i quote
    "I can see your position as at least 1kM from exchange and speed capacity of line approx 2Mb"

this is what annoys me , im about 3 or 4 feet from the exchange and my line is ony a couple of metres long

That's complete bull****. How can tony explain an attenuation of 2dB?! That means the line is less than 200 metres long in total They're pulling the same stunt on another guy here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229693

iv been keeping an eye on that thread , and it seems to be that there feeding every one the same crap ,

ill get a foto of my line and how the the exchange thing is from my house

ok so basicy heres a foto i took

and im over 1km away from this thing and as i was told on the fone i have an old fone line (was only fitted )

That's just the manhole cover sure! Is the exchange across the road?

nope , i taught that aswell ,

but the guy from eircom that installed the line stated that was the exchange

Ah now, he must know where the exchange itself is located. Maybe there was a mixup? Or else he was condescending you. If it's a village, then it looks like a small redbrick shed or else made out of corrugated steel coated in green plastic.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

Here is my 2 cents, I work for a UK ISP and the way we usual adjust speed is to adjust the SNR profile. All our customers are on a upto product which means you can get any speed upto 24mb depending on line length, quality, etc.

I don't know how eircom work their speeds but with the ISP I work for and with that line attenuation you would be very close to getting 24mb if you were on a upto 24mb product.

My guess is either their equipment in the exchange aint capable of it or they are just capping your sync speed at 2mb.

P.S Why now ask eircom what your line length is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nitro Snail

Hey - when you run speed test -> run it once in the morning - evening and night. and compare the results. Its quite possible for slower speeds at different times of the day. Also contention ratio matters.

This isn't about contention and speed tests. The problem is with the raw data rate that the DSL connection is working on.

update ,

mark from eircom , has so far gotten me up to 3mb in speeds , and its almost reaching the 3mb running a speed test

I found out the location of the exchange in Strokestown. The coordinates I had on file are not completely accurate. It's a redbrick shed with a flat roof off Elphin st. near the forge hill estate on google maps. It's not accessible from Streetview. Hope that helps.

Can Mark explain why the line cannot take 7 mbps when you are within 1 km of the exchange? 2 dB attenuation is ridiculous, your line could take 24 mbps!

I found out the location of the exchange in Strokestown. The coordinates I had on file are not completely accurate. It's a redbrick shed with a flat roof off Elphin st. near the forge hill estate on google maps. It's not accessible from Streetview. Hope that helps.

Can Mark explain why the line cannot take 7 mbps when you are within 1 km of the exchange? 2 dB attenuation is ridiculous, your line could take 24 mbps!

my house is located on the entrance to forge hill

could you link the location of it to my on google maps ?

I'm not sure how to get the pinpoint linked but here goes:

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.780823,-8.102959&spn=0.001132,0.002411&t=h&z=19

The building with the silvery square roof in the centre of that map is the exchange.

• Advertisement

thanks , my house is one the the house that on the turn into forge hill so im not far from the exchange atall

Advertisement